Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Letterpress Restoration: Purpose

Upon request, I would like to explain in more detail as to why exactly I am hoping to follow through with this restoration.

First of all, as I am doing this for class credit, this restoration so far has allowed me to learn about letter press printing as I did not have any prior knowledge. If I were to actually restore the press and gather needed parts, I could potentially extend my independent learning by using the press for its intended purpose: to print! -On a side note, doing this restoration for class credit would be at a minimum cost to the University as I am sure if the press was to be fixed by a professional, the cost of labor would be somewhat substantial.- As you can see, my personal interest in letter press printing has gotten me this far; however, my own learning is not my main purpose for wanting to complete this restoration.

As I have mentioned in a previous post, I met with Doug Younger in the Graphics Department, he pointed out a picture to me when we were walking through the GIT printing lab. This picture was from, if I remember correctly, the 70's and it looks as though the very press I am trying to restore was being used in a class in its pre-blue painted state. -My main purpose for this press to be revived is so that current and future students at Pittsburg State University will have the ability to use it once again.

Mentioning the graphics department furthers my purpose for this restoration. I found it odd that it took me to meet with a printer in KC telling me about work he is doing with a GIT professor to come to the conclusion that the GIT department actually has letter presses. I most likely would have started there with my research and asking questions if I would have known. Anyway, I find it odd that we have this piece of equipment that is unused in our departments "printmaking" course and over at the GIT department, they have many letter presses being used in their "printmaking" courses. If by chance, the two departments could collaborate their printmaking classes, this would allow students to see why printmaking is important to each field of work and help them to relate with one another. I'm sure there would be a lot more knowledge and techniques provided to students who were exposed to both departments, even if there was only one or two meeting in the other department during a semester.

Another great reason for this to be restored and to possibly unite the Art and GIT departments is the exposure students would be gaining. This exposure has relevance to contemporary printing programs at a school like Otis College of Art and Design < http://www.otis.edu/letterpress-studio >.

As you can see my interest in cleaning up this letterpress does not stop at my personal learning but extends to the current and future students of PSU. In hopes of uniting the Art and Graphics departments to put even more emphasis on the many types of printmaking that art focused schools tend to have. This opportunity could grow and provide yet another in-depth facet for students at PSU.

No comments:

Post a Comment