Monday, June 9, 2014

Skylab Letterpress Internship: Week 2

Day 4
Bob and I packaged up a large business card order that we had worked on last week. There was also a lot of organizing shelves to clear up clutter and have easier access to masters, boxes, and job folders. Around lunch time we jumped over to JB Letterpress for a quick tour of their shop and to pick up a few rolls of foil for him to experiment with. They primarily foil stamp and score the jobs that come in, very little if any actual ink printing.

Day 5
In the morning I finished up the reorganizing by repacking several boxes of masters. As Bob was working on a lot of office work and having a lunch with a few clients, I spent a lot of the day locking in more type, rearranging it, and playing with different fonts. After lunch I inked up all of the locked in type and worked on finding the right pressure when printing. One of the fonts I am using was created by a few of Bob's friends. This gave me inspiration to possibly create my own font and have it cut out on a CNC in the fall when I return to PSU. This could be an added component for my letter press printing independent studies course.




Day 6
I, again, added more type and rearranged everything on the press. I also took note of all of the parts that did not print and added packing. Bob had a client come in to check the placement of the die cut part of the job we were working on. With the "O.K." we got the rest of the cards die cut then punched out each of the cut parts. I prepped the other press for another job by setting up the paper and placing the plate on the chase.




No comments:

Post a Comment