Thursday, December 4, 2014

Presentation of Art Work: Post 2

For my Presentation of Art Work class, the final bits of class consist of matting and framing an art piece that will be packaged and shipped to the PSU Department of Art. The key is to successfully package it, ship it, AND enclose a prepaid return shipping label. This poses as a simulated real life scenario that artists commonly come into contact with whether they are shipping work off to galleries or their new homes. As I am a 3D Fine Art major, I am required to mat a 2D work and ship that along with a 3D work. The following two images are what I have chosen to mat and ship.

The image below is of a brass pendant I constructed with cold connections (without soldering). The lines of brass running through the center of the circle are actually hammered and stretched pieces of brass rather than just using pre-made wire. This was also the first time working with brass which proved to be quite similar to copper. The brass has a gun blue patina on the surface. The imagery is from one of my old sketches which inspired this piece as well as a design I have had printed on fabric. It has been exciting to see how a simple sketch has taken shape through different media, especially in this three dimensional form.

This next image is of a print that I composed with these ladies that were old individual letterpress blocks. During my initial learning of how to block type and images into a letterpress, I found these blocks and they printed beautifully. Having matted the print really captured the classic image. On matting, it was extremely beneficial to learn how to properly mat a work of art according to archival standards. This knowledge will not only make my 2D work much more professionally presentable but have a long lifetime without falling apart or changing color.

Stay tuned for a step-by-step glimpse into how I am packaging these works for shipment!

No comments:

Post a Comment