Saturday, January 9, 2016

Brother to the Rescue & No Loose Ends

Happy New Year to all! As I have graduated from Pittsburg State University and have become a resident of Colorado, I wanted to share a last bit on the letterpresses at the PSU Art Department.

At the letterpress dedication, the Vandercook Universal I was fully cleaned up however, the trip was not working. It was actually working in the opposite way it should have been. During the dedication, my brother was brainstorming with Nico (PSU professor) about the problem. The next thing I knew, they were taking it apart and found that the timing on the carriage was off. The day before I graduated, my brother and I took about 45 minutes where he adjusted the trip's gear until I was able to tell him that it was in the proper position. Viola, it was 100% functional! It was such a sweet moment to finish my last "assignment" with my big brother at my side. 

The next morning, day of graduation, I met with Portico, who will be taking on the letterpresses, and gave her a quick demo on how the Universal works. It was such a huge relief to know that my work was complete, there were no loose ends that would have to be translated via Skype/Facetime. (Of course I will a phone call away for any questions/problems that present themselves in the future)

I am also thrilled to learn that there will be several PSU Art students who are each taking letterpress independent study courses this spring semester. It is overwhelming to realize the support and excitement that has been put forth because of my interest in letterpress. It is so bittersweet to leave those presses, but so comforting to know they have a new life ahead of them. 
Thank you, Beau!


No comments:

Post a Comment