Friday, February 7, 2014

Letterpress Restoration: Day 2

Day 2 of the restoration started with the hopes of taking the press apart. I was able to get the top shelf (where the printer would roll ink onto a brayer) disassembled and look around the press to see what tools are needed in order to take the rest of it apart. I searched around the printing room for a small table that I can roll the cylinder onto and am waiting for an O.K. email from my professor to use one of them. Taking the cylinder off will allow me to take the cylinder itself apart, as well as unscrew the track it sits on and make the clean up a lot easier. It will be crucial to keep track of where the void is at when I take it off, so when I place it back on it will be in the correct position.

You can see the cylinders void.
 

 The press without the ink shelf.

The disassembled ink shelf, ready to be cleaned!

The following images are of a brush that was stuck in the press. The note taped to it reads: "Brewington's Do Not Remove This Brush From This Position." I was curious as to who "Brewington" was so I tried to do a little research. It appears that he was the printing instructor at Pittsburg High School in the 1930's as you can see in this link http://www.mocavo.com/Pittsburg-High-School-1934-Pittsburg-Ks/126315/83#83 Also, from page 10 of this document created in 2008, www.pittstate.edu/dotAsset/61744.pdf, a 1958 graduate from Pittsburg State University's noted that "LeRoy Brewington" was one of his printing professors. Many of the PSU Kanza Yearbooks were printed by LeRoy Brewington as well. My guess is that he was the professor who brought this Vandercook No. 2 press to the PSU campus, considering it was created in the mid-early 30's. On a similar note, I mentioned in a previous post that in the PSU Technology Center, there is a picture of the Vandercook being used in a class in the 70's. It is fun how I am finding bits of history about who used this press!


No comments:

Post a Comment