Tuesday, February 18, 2014

PSU Studio Critique: Critique 1

As I am completing two critique courses this semester, I will be presenting work and ideas from both the classroom and my personal endeavors. The first critique will primarily consist of concepts, sketches, maquettes, and past projects that I am working from.

For classroom work, projects will be from Advanced Jewelry and Toy Design.

Jewelry:
The first project was focused on cold connections which entails piecing it together without soldering. The picture below is the final piece. It is made from a flattened then rounded brass tube as well as "wire" that I stretched, cut, and formed from a small piece of brass. I drilled holes in the appropriate areas, slipped the wires in, and folded the end over to secure them into place.


The second project is focused on using resin. I am currently building a shadow box pendant that will have the resin inside. There will be a few leaves and other organic material set in the resin.


The last four projects will be to set stones, create a fibula (an ancient brooch/dress fastener), make the metal component of a water feature/fountain, and etch metal. The water feature/fountain is stemming from a project that I created last semester, it will be a larger scale. The video below shows the concept from last semesters project. The etching idea was inspired by the image below of the fascinating "Chinese Lantern."






Toy Design: 
We have worked on three "thinker" projects to get our minds to think like toy designers, not necessarily to have complete, perfect art pieces. We are encouraged to follow our interests in what toys are to us individually and reflect that in our toys. To me, I want to promote imaginative play, being outside in nature, hands-on, and low cost or reusing materials.
"Thinker 1" was to make something move. We were given a handful of plastic gears and balsa wood. I hand cut working gears from balsa wood. The plastic gears were coupled with string to open an origami object.
"Thinker 2" was to translate 2D drawings into something 3D. The goal was to use a letter or letters from your name and put meaning to them, and tell a story through the 3D part we made. I used my entire name "Catherine" and broke it down into words that describe things that I enjoy. C: camping, a: alpine, t: trees, h: hiking, e: earth, r: rock climbing, i: insects, n: national parks, e: explore. With those words, I created a cartoon-like nature scene.
"Thinker 3" is creating a character. I have sketches for the fabric owl that I will be sewing.

Personal Projects:

Shadow box(es): In the past I have created a few of my own shadow boxes; one with mixed media and the other with different saturation's of the same image. The visual experiences created by them was really intriguing to me. I would like to combine the two ideas, make it bigger, deeper, possibly a light source. The following website is a great example of my idea of a shadow box. I love the different media used, including the feather and tin can. http://thebeeskneescousin.blogspot.com/2013/06/shadow-box-artists.html

Topic of Bipolar: My mother is bipolar and there are SO many emotions that are involved not only for her but for me as her daughter. I would like to put my finger on a few of those emotions or bipolar in general in an art piece or to for healing and understanding of it. I may be able to use this as a subject for a shadow box or make books like "Life Cycle of the Book" from my recent gallery exhibit. Mirrors also come to mind, maybe manipulating them to symbolize something. The following are ways I have broken the topic up into possible projects.
  • The stages of her life: early signs, alcoholism (self medication), breakdown, diagnosis, prescription mediation, sleeping/poor health/inactive/snide
  • Highs= crazy, hyperactive, manic, angry, happy VS. Lows= depression, slow, sad, unmotivated
  • Outsiders view (textbook knowledge of the topic) VS. insiders view (those with it or directly affected by someone with it)
  • Alcoholism/self-medication VS. prescriptions/Dr. medication
  • Sweet talking/happy/nice/kind VS. angry/rude/unhappy/scary

No comments:

Post a Comment