Wednesday, April 9, 2014

PSU Studio Critique: Critique 3

I am posting materials to cover two critique classes.

Class Projects

Jewelry:
My third projects is still very much in the experimental stage. This first image shows that my brass pieces were in the etching acid WAY too long as virtually all of the metal is gone. The second image shows my second pieces right after the third 1 1/2 hour session. It is a slow process, if all works out, I still plan to set the stones on each part.

 

My fourth project is coming along fairly quickly. It is a dress fibula, commonly used on toga's in ancient Europe. It will be a part of a pirate costume that I will be making in the fall, explaining the sword shape. It is made from brass. The first image shows all of the pieces laid out before I soldered them, the other is after the soldering. I will need to clean it up, cut down the wire part and create a point, sand it and possibly do a patina.

 

Toy Design:
My toy has come a long way since the second critique! I have one of them assembled and aside from needing a few last touches (marketing, name, note to the child, and possibly a stain) and waiting for the 3D printed component, it is complete. The first picture shows the box closed, second the box open with all of the included contents (minus the 3D printed building sticks), the third is a mock up of what a child can do with it, and the fourth is an example of one of the garlands on a tree.

Each box will include 20-3D printed building sticks (10 small, 10 large), 2 cutout trees (1 small, 1 large), 4 seasonal garlands for each tree, 8 carpet squares (green: grass, tan: sand, brown: dirt, white: snow), 3 sets of felt to cover the inside of the box, 3 various sized water sources, and will include a note to the child encouraging them to use their own action figures or dinosaur toys, go outside and find rocks, shells, etc. to add, and also make new parts from household items such as cardboard or plastic bottles.

 
 
 


Personal Project

Topic of Bipolar:
The idea of a medicine cabinet seemed to be the best direction for this project and I ended up finding the perfect one. I also was able to find a large bag of prescription bottles that I will fill with bottle caps, shards of glass, and any other items I see fit. All will be inside of the medicine cabinet, some contained, others spilling out. It will represent all sides of bipolar from the highs to the lows. I will manipulate the cabinet itself to show that with sandpaper, paint, mirrors, etc. I first need to sand all of the bottle cap tops to get the words and images off.




No comments:

Post a Comment