Tuesday, April 7, 2015

PSU Studio Critique: Crit 3

Last critique, with Portico Bowman, I presented my first screen prints and new textile work with my "transition" into color. My first step was to use white ink on black fabric, rather than the reverse that I have primarily focused on. A funny way of starting this transition; however, the results were shocking! Portico mentioned that all of my textile work, but this white ink on black was even more evident of looking X-ray like. This presents all of the essentials within the image. She also stated that my work is "ugly," as in viewers are responding to a person behind that work who is investigating and searching. The audience is responding to that person as it gives them a safe zone to view the investigation. The work isn't focusing on perfection and taking the artists hand out of the work; it's the very opposite and apparently very relatable and tantalizing. Quite a compliment to my work. 
For this third critique, I will be displaying my further investigation of different colors within my textile printing. The purpose of this is for me to have an understanding of which color lends its best qualities as well as where it lacks. Having this inventory will help the future of my printing. 
As for my shadowbox series, as time dedicated to my studies is extensive, the series will not be completed by the end of the semester. I will gradually be developing the elements for the seven shadow boxes. This is not a project that I want to rush, which is why I have decided to focus on several crucial elements of the series this semester. 
The following two images are the first two screen prints that I have ever done (I brought to the 2nd critique). Definitely new to the process, but now I have a little experience under my belt!
This third image is of the third screen that I made (again had difficulty with the emulsion, but learning!). I will bring a print of it to this next critique. 
 Here are the colors of textiles that I will be bringing to the critique.
This is a little preview of the new natural objects used in my textiles for this next critique. I have never used most of the items before, especially lichen. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
As for a fellow artist, I would love to introduce you to Rudi Rodebush. Her sense of humor is evident through conversation and her work. Last year she worked on a book of hand-cut paper images that correlated with a quote. With raving reviews from her peers, she was hesitant about sharing this book as it was almost like sharing a diary as the stories portrayed were personal and more negative. This semester she wanted to continue with her passion for cut paper but with a happier, positive direction. She has been creating comical pieces that capture her humor and general positive attitude that she carries. Check out her blog to see what I mean! She has a real gift and I wish her the best in her artistic career!
http://rudirodebushart.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment