Tuesday, April 28, 2015

PSU Studio Critique: Crit 4

In critique 3, with Emi Gennis and Rhona McBain, I presented several sections of fabric in color, which is new for me! Overall, the conversation between the three of us was focused on my career, beyond college. The most important thing for me to do is to create, and the logical way of doing so initially means having a job, hopefully in a creative area, and having a studio space to produce work. They have greatly encouraged me to continue to keep my ideas big and broad, the less limits I give myself, the more possibilities there are. Rhona also suggested alternative processes such as cyanotype. 
These images are a few of what I presented to them last time. 1. Layering of color, 2. My screen print on fabric, & 3. Four sections of the same patterns in different colors to see the qualities each color lends best. Side note about screen printing, I will be meeting with Chris Huitt in GIT to get some tips on screen printing as he teaches the course over in the Tech Center. 

As for critique 4, I will be bringing the elements from the previous 3 critiques and some work that I have been creating recently. I have been inspired by artists who have taken stumps of trees, sanding them down, and creating a relief print of it. I have two stumps in my yard so I decided to give it a try. My attempt was not nearly as successful as those who have spent quality time sanding the surface, as I printed my stumps as is. I would love to find a perfect stump to sand down and print on fabric to make pillows or a tote bag with.

This site shows and example of this type of printing. http://www.ashesandmilk.com/blog/paper/bryan-nash-gill/

Here is my attempt at this... Again, not as successful as it could have been. I was also able to get a few prints with my usual technique of picking the image up with my brayer. 

Lastly, from this trial, I discovered a different way of picking up the image of an object rather than running the ink-coated brayer over the object. Instead, I ran the brayer across the paper with the object under the paper. Here is a comparison image of the two techniques with a fern.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As for the artist post section, I would like to introduce you to ceramicist, Sylvia Schultze. She has been on a journey to capture feminine body parts within fruit and sculpting them with clay. These beautiful sculptures are functional pieces of pottery that challenge the user in how they want to approach the vessel. I love the whimsical approach she has taken not only with creating these pieces but the overall idea. She wants to create something that will be lighthearted for her audience and certainly eye catching and conversation starters. Keep up with her blog as she is constantly producing more pieces to this collection of works. http://sschultze3.wix.com/sylviaschultze

No comments:

Post a Comment